Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Football or not....

So, the eternal question remains....football or no football for my 8 year old son. We have been discussing this on air, my son Zachary heard us one day and asked what people were saying on their calls.

Here's the deal.....we play baseball and soccer, both which I enjoy and he does as well. Now, he wants to step up and head over to the football field. I, as a mom, am torn. Never having played football myself (but being a college football fan,) I am in no hurry to make the move to tackle football. Normal mom emotions I am sure, but still the nagging questions remain...do I let him play or not? Can I wait until he's 9? Will this memory of not getting to play (if he doesn't) "mar" him the rest of this life? Will he get hurt? Can I stand the time commitment and the heat since they begin practice in August?

I know I will miss fall soccer and fall baseball if he plays since time commitments will not allow us to play them all. And, yes, it is my oldest son at issue here. I know when son #2 wants to play, my concerns will have probably subsided as I will be more familiar with the whole football plan.

Ah, the joys of being a parent. I'll let you know what my husband and I decide. If you have any thoughts on the matter, feel free to email me at kperrin@fm100memphis.com