Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Next time, I'll think first....

I try to buy products made in the United States whenever possible, so it is a bit ironic in my attempt to be patriotic, I ended up with junk labeled “Made in China.”


Here is my story, wanted to accessories with red, white and blue this Independence Day weekend. Since I thought of this hours before the event, my focus was finding said items…to be honest…who made them was the furthest thing from my mind…cute was the main thought. So I visited a couple of stores I don’t usually shop in but I knew would offer cute, colorful jewelry to fit the bill. Store Number One: I buy a set of royal blue and a set of red bangles. In Store Two (which I may have been in once since I got my ears pierced when I was 16) I found 4th of July themed jewelry 50% off…I bought 2 necklaces and a couple of hair accessories. Knowing the quality of what I was getting was pretty junky, I even joked with the salesperson and asked would my neck turn green the first time I wore it. (She said, not the first time.) =)

So, I am dressed and feeling cute and patriotic as I go to emcee the Collierville Independence Day celebration. Since I shopped so last minute it still has not occurred to me I am adorned in all imported junk jewelry…. until I got home. The second I pulled in the driveway, my necklace simply broke….the charms slid down into my bra (!) and the necklace down my back. Then I go inside, proceed to take my bracelets off and I am horrified to notice two inches of my arm at my wrist is bright blue! The stupid things faded from being in the heat. And as I type, my arm is still blue… all of it won’t scrub off! The lesson…buy American! Sadly, I bet I couldn’t have even found many similar red, white or blue items made in the USA. :( My simpleton answer? Let’s make more things in the USA! I’ll pay more…but in order to buy them, they must exist. :)


Happy Birthday America :)